Thursday, December 2, 2010

Quick tips of the day.

My quick money saving tip today is to freeze stuff.  When meat or veggies go on sale,  buy extra and freeze them!  I shop on the weekends at a discount market for vegetables and when I see a really good deal like 5 lbs. of green beans for $1.  I get them.  Then blanch them quickly and freeze.  They do great in stews and soups all winter long.  I do the same with broccoli, carrots, and peppers.  Berries do really well like this too, especially if you like them in smoothies.  Since they are frozen you don't have to add ice which usually waters down the smoothie.  Alternatively you can use the berries for pies.  Just remember once you freeze fresh produce it is really only good to serve cooked.  Some hard cheeses do well in the freezer as well.  As for meat there is nothing more convenient than ground beef or a pot roast in the fridge. 
When you know you have a busy day don't stop by for Chinese take out.  Plan a head, defrost the meat the night before, and cook it all day in a slow cooker.  It will be ready when you get home from work and will taste delicious.  Last night I did chicken thighs and drumsticks in a ginger Teriyaki marinade (recipe below) for about 5 hours while my husband and I went to the gym.  He had it for dinner and I saved the rest for lunch.  Make your life easier by making a big pot of food and using it all week for lunches.  This will also save you time when you are getting ready for work and will not allow you the excuse to buy lunch!  I tracked how much money I was spending on eating out for lunch on the days I "just didn't have time" to make my lunch.  I am saving almost $30 a week by bringing my lunch with me.  Plus I am eating healthier.  Give it a try!

Ginger Teriyaki Chicken (in Slow Cooker)

1 Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
2 lbs Chicken (breast or on bone)
Bottled Marinade (Micheal Jordan's - yes THE Micheal Jordan)
Pepper
Salt
Oil

Slice the Onions (they will caramelize in the sauce and are oh so good).  Smash the Garlic (in large pieces to take out later) or grate finely.  Salt and Pepper the chicken.  Just coat the chicken in the marinade with a little extra for the sauce.  You don't want it to burn in the slow cooker, but you don't want too much.  Add a little oil (or water for a little healthier meal) until he chicken is about half submerged in liquid.  Put on the lid, turn it on high for about 3 hours, or low for up to 6.  Set it and forget it (until you smell it at least).  Fall off the bone juicy chicken is the result.  This is good with any marinade, and for this particularly Carrots would be a good addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment